While still travelling along State Road 131, the island’s main highway, our glance is caught by Nuraghe Cuccurada.
When we reach the site we realise that we are in the presence of a complex architectural feat: a monument with four towers linked by straight stretches of massive walls, which incorporates an earlier building, a ‘corridor nuraghe’. The walls frame a wide internal courtyard onto which open the various internal chambers, and which once was occupied by stone huts.
The fortress was in use from the Late and Final Bronze Ages to the Early Iron Age (1200 – 800 BC). It was then reused in early medieval times (5th century AD). In this latter period, the monument was used for religious purposes, as shown by the objects found in a votive store (remains of animals, bone hairpins, small lanterns, bronze coins, etc.).