Along the way leading to the sanctuary of Su Romanzesu, we cross a beautiful cork tree grove which protects the sacred area, one of the most important and imposing on the whole island.
This monumental complex occupies an overall area of some 7 hectares: it consists of a well temple, four ‘megaron’ temples (rectangular structures with a characteristic anterior and posterior extension known as in antis), a village comprising about 100 stone huts and five sacred buildings. Amongst the many buildings which give form and identity to this extraordinary area of worship, our attention is drawn to a great elliptic area with entrance from the east and, in its interior, a series of concentric walls forming a ring-shaped path leading to a central paved area. Set in the centre of this space we find a base created by the use of ‘wedge-shaped’ blocks, almost certainly a sort of altar which perhaps held a terracotta model of a nuraghe, whose fragments have been unearthed by excavations.
Apart from this finding, excavations have revealed about one thousand quartz fragments, presumably used in ritual functions.
The life of the whole complex runs from the end of the Middle Bronze Age (1600 BC) to the Iron Age (800 BC).